Are you planning on walking the Camino de Santiago? If so you will need a reliable and comfortable backpack to carry all your gear.
I have walked different routes of the Camino 5 times and used this pack every time and think its one of the best day backpacks on the market with some brilliant features.
It’s lightweight and comfortable with a variety of pockets and compartments as well as a large hydration sleeve.
The breathable back panel is a really good feature and it has adjustable straps and a hip belt for a great fit.
I believe the Osprey Talon 33 is the best backpack for the Camino de Santiago whether you are an experienced hiker or walking your first Camino. Check it out on Amazon below:
Osprey Talon 33 Men's Hiking Backpack, black, medium/largeTop-loader access to main compartment
- External hydration sleeve accommodates up to a 3l reservoir (sold separately)
- Adjustable shoulder harness to dial in perfect fit
- Stretch mesh pockets on both sides of pack provide convenient storage for bottles and smaller items.
- Two zippered hipbelt pockets and lidlock helmet attachment
- Stow-on-the-go trekking pole attachment allows you to quickly attach and carry trekking poles while
What is the Camino de Santiago?
The Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage route that spans trails across Europe and ends at the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Spain.
The most popular route is the Camino Francés, which starts in St. Jean Pied de Port, France and covers a distance of approximately 800 km. It is also known as The Way of St James.
Walking the Camino de Santiago is an amazing experience that attracts Pilgrims from all over the world and can be a spiritual journey as well as a physical challenge that requires endurance, preparation and organisation.
I walked the Camino in 28 days and took in breathtaking landscapes, old historic towns and local cultural experiences that made it a truly unforgettable adventure.
The journey requires a good backpack that can carry all your gear comfortably unless you are planning on having your bags transferred every day by courier.
Why the Osprey Talon 33 is the Best Backpack for the Camino de Santiago
If you are planning on walking the Camino de Santiago, you will need a reliable backpack to carry all your gear day after day. The Osprey Talon 33 is the perfect choice for this epic journey. Here’s why:
Firstly, the Osprey Talon 33 is incredibly lightweight, weighing only 2.5 pounds. This is a crucial factor when you’re going to be carrying your gear for days on end. You don’t want a heavy backpack weighing you down and causing unnecessary strain on your back and shoulders.
Secondly, the Osprey Talon 33 has been designed with comfort in mind. It’s got an adjustable harness and hipbelt, so you can get a really comfortable fit to your body.
Its also got a ventilated back panel, which helps to keep you cool and dry during long, hot days on the Camino.
It’s also very durable and is made from high-quality materials that can withstand the wear and tear of the Camino. You don’t want a backpack that will fall apart halfway through your journey, and the Osprey Talon 33 won’t let you down.
Finally, the Osprey Talon 33 has plenty of pockets and compartments, making it easy to organise your gear. I also use Osprey packing cubes or Osprey dry sacks to help my organisation and they have really good compression.
It has a large main compartment, a hydration sleeve and several smaller pockets for your phone, wallet and other smaller essentials.
The backpack also has external straps for carrying your trekking poles, which is really useful whilst walking.
In my opinion the Osprey Talon 33 is the best backpack for walking the Camino de Santiago. With this backpack on your back, you’ll be ready for whatever the Camino throws your way.
Features of the Osprey Talon 33
The Osprey Talon 33 has several features that make it an excellent backpack for walking el Camino de Santiago.
- It is made with high-quality materials that are both lightweight and durable.
- It’s got a variety of pockets and compartments that provide ample space for all your essentials.
- It has a comfortable and breathable back panel that reduces the risk of discomfort or pain during long walks.
Heres the breakdown of the features:
Comfort is a crucial factor when choosing a backpack for the Camino de Santiago. The Osprey Talon 33 is designed with comfort in mind, ensuring that you can carry your gear with ease and without any discomfort.
It also has a number of comfort enhancing features that make it an ideal choice for outdoor enthusiasts and hikers.
The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable, allowing you to find the perfect fit for your body. The straps are also designed with a mesh material that allows for air flow, keeping you cool and comfortable during your hike.
The Talon 33 also features a padded hip belt that helps to distribute the weight of the backpack evenly across your hips, reducing the strain on your back and shoulders. The hip belt is adjustable, ensuring a perfect fit for your body.
Additionally, the back panel is designed with a breathable mesh material that allows for air flow, keeping your back cool and dry during your hike. The back panel is also contoured, providing a comfortable fit against your back.
The Osprey Talon 33 Backpack is designed for day hikes, overnight trips and multi-day adventures. It has a total capacity of 33 litres and offers enough space to carry all your essentials without weighing you down.
The main compartment has a capacity of 27 litres, which is perfect for storing clothes, sleeping liners, ponchos and lots of other bulky items. The front pocket has a capacity of 6 litres and can be used to store smaller items such as snacks, maps, Camino guidebook and sunglasses.
The backpack also features several external attachment points, including two stretch mesh side pockets, two zippered hipbelt pockets and an ice axe loop. This loop works perfectly when storing walking poles on the go. They also provide attachment points for additional storage options and allow you to carry more gear when needed.
The backpack’s compression straps allow you to cinch down the load and keep it stable, even when the backpack is not completely full. This feature is especially useful when you are carrying a lighter load and want to keep the backpack from shifting around on your back.
There is also a good sized hydration compartment which allows me to stay hydrated without having to stop and take off my backpack. I use the Osprey Hydraulics hydration system for all my walks which includes:
The Osprey Talon 33 Backpack is built to last. Constructed with high quality materials and rigorous manufacturing standards, this backpack is designed to withstand even the toughest outdoor conditions.
The backpack is made with a combination of 70D and 100D nylon fabrics, which are both abrasion-resistant and durable. The main body of the backpack is made with 210D nylon, which is even tougher and more durable than the other fabrics used.
The backpack also features a sturdy frame made with lightweight aluminium, which provides excellent support and stability.
The frame is designed to distribute weight evenly across your back, reducing strain and fatigue during long hikes or treksIn addition to its durable construction it’s also equipped with a number of features that help protect it from wear and tear. These include:
- Reinforced stitching at stress points
- Internal hydration sleeve for easy access to water
- Stretch mesh side pockets for storing water bottles or other gear
How to choose the right Backpack for your Camino de Santiago
Choosing the right backpack to walk the Camino de Santiago is critical to ensure a comfortable and successful pilgrimage.
When choosing a backpack, there are several factors to consider, including size and capacity, comfort and fit and durability and weather resistance.
Size and capacity: The size and capacity of your backpack will depend on how much gear you plan to carry. Most backpacks for the Camino have a capacity of between 30 and 40 litres, which is enough to carry all the essentials you’ll need for the journey.
Comfort and fit: A comfortable backpack is essential for a successful journey. Look for a backpack with adjustable shoulder straps and a hip belt that can be customised to fit your body perfectly.
A breathable back panel is also important to keep your back cool and dry.
Durability and weather resistance: Your backpack will be exposed to the elements whilst walking the Camino, so it’s essential to choose a backpack that is durable and weather resistant.
Look for backpacks made from high-quality materials that can withstand the wear and tear of long distance hiking.
I got myself fitted correctly and an outdoors store and would advise anyone else to do the same and get some professional help to get the best backpack for your requirements.
The pack comes in the following sizes:
- Small/Medium: 0.87 kg/ 1.90 lbs
- Medium/Large: 0.91 kg/ 2.02 lbs
Check out the sizing instructions on the Osprey website.
- Comfortable: The Osprey Talon 33 backpack is designed to be comfortable, with features like a ventilated back panel, adjustable shoulder straps and a hip belt that distributes weight evenly.
- Lightweight: At just over 2 pounds, the Talon 33 is relatively lightweight for its size, making it a great choice for day hikes or other activities where you don’t want to be weighed down.
- Durable: The backpack is made from high-quality materials that are designed to be both durable and long-lasting.
- Plenty of storage: The backpack has multiple pockets and compartments, including a large main compartment, a hydration sleeve, and a front stash pocket, allowing you to organise and carry all your gear with ease.
- Versatile: The Talon 33 is a versatile backpack that can be used for a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, backpacking and climbing.
- Limited capacity: While the 33 litre capacity is plenty for day hikes or overnight trips, it may not be enough for longer trips or those with more gear such as tents, sleeping bags and mats.
- Price: The Talon 33 is a high-quality backpack, but it comes with a price tag to match, which may be a drawback for some buyers on a budget.
- No rain cover included: While the backpack is made from water-resistant materials, it does not come with a rain cover, which may be a concern if you plan to hike in wet conditions. I use an osprey rain cover for rainy days.
- Hip belt pockets may be small: Some users have noted that the hip belt pockets on the Osprey Talon 33 are smaller than they would like, limiting the amount of gear that can be stored there.
- Limited colour options: The Osprey Talon 33 is available in a limited number of colour options, which may be a drawback for those looking for a wider range of choices. The black one is very nice and the one i use.
In summary, if you’re planning on walking the Camino de Santiago, the Osprey Talon 33 is the perfect backpack for the journey.
I have walked with it for 5 Caminos and have never had a problem and it has delivered on quality and service.
With its lightweight and durable design, ample storage space, and comfortable fit, this backpack will help you stay organised and comfortable on your pilgrimage. It is also reliable and weather resistant.
Overall, I highly recommend the Osprey Talon 33 backpack for anyone planning on walking the Camino de Santiago. It will make your journey more comfortable, organised, and enjoyable, and you’ll appreciate its reliability and durability every step of the way.